Shah Alam (The Star/ANN) - A 10-year-old Malaysian boy was electrocuted when he accidentally fell and touched an exposed high-voltage wire on a lamp post at a playground near his house.
Mohd Naqiuddin Marzuki was on his way home from the playground on Saturday after a football game with his friends when the incident occurred at about 6pm.
The victim's father, Mohd Marzuki Muda, 44, who was at home at the time of the incident, said he rushed to the scene after being informed about the accident.
He said his son was motionless with his leg still in contact with the lamp post.
Mohd Marzuki, however, managed to pull his son away from the lamp post using a wooden stick, before rushing him off to the KPJ Selangor hospital where Mohd Naqiuddin was pronounced dead.
"I managed to pull him away from the lamp post but after an hour at KPJ (Selangor hospital), the doctors told me that my son was dead," he told reporters.
Mohd Naqiuddin's body has been taken to the University Malaya Medical Centre for a post-mortem before burial in Jerteh, Terengganu.
Meanwhile, resident Razali Abdullah, 52, claimed that it was the second such incident in the area, adding that a child was almost electrocuted about two years ago.
Despite the numerous complaint letters sent to the Subang Jaya Municipal Council, he claimed no action had been taken.
"We are all saddened by the incident and we hope that MBSJ will take appropriate measures after this," he said.
Subang Jaya OCPD Asst Comm Zainal Rashid Abu Bakar confirmed the case.
Police have classified the case as sudden death.